Get an Instant Online Home Buyers Survey Quote

or call us on 0333 344 3234 (Mon-Fri 8-6 Sat 11-1) - we have local surveyors throughout England and Wales.
I agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
Green Tick
Green Tick
Green Tick
Green Tick
Green Tick
Surveys from £300
Same week availability
Local Knowledge
Qualified RICS Surveyors
Leave the booking to us

What Types of House Survey Do We Offer?

SAM is one of the UK’s largest network of Surveyors with local surveyors throughout England. Our most popular property surveys are HomeBuyer Reports and Building Surveys and these inspections are completed by local RICS surveyors who have years of experience.

We handle all of the booking so you just need to call us for a quote and then we'll handle all of the access for you.
We offer many types of house survey including:
  • Level 2: HomeBuyers Report
  • Level 3: Building Survey
  • Damp & Timber Survey
  • Load Bearing Wall Survey
  • Chimney Breast Removal Survey
  • Snagging Survey
  • Japanese Knotweed Site Survey
  • Removal of load bearing wall Survey
  • Property Valuation Survey
  • Probate Valuation Survey
  • Lease Extension Valuatoin Survey
  • Purchase of Freehold (Leasehold Flats) Survey
  • Purchase of Freehold (Leasehold House) Survey
  • Discount Market Sale (DMS) Valuation Survey
  • Structural Engineer Survey
  • Asbestos Survey

If you are unsure which house survey to book click here or call us and we’ll advise you.

Not sure whether you need a Level 2: HomeBuyers Report or a Level 3: Building Survey? Find out by clicking here and seeing example reports
Proud of our reviews

Home Buyers Survey

Homebuyers Survey Cost

A Homebuyers Report can cost anywhere from £399 plus VAT upwards depending on the location, size and the property's value. Whilst the home buyers report cost can vary from surveyor to surveyor, we always look to offer more than just our competitive quote. We never charge more for a survey once we have quoted and we always look to deliver a service that we would be proud of.

Local RICS Surveyor?

We have a very large panel of local RICS surveyors throughout the whole of England and Wales including:

How do I choose between a HomeBuyer Report & a Building Survey?

Call us on 0333 344 3234 (local call charges apply) and we'll suggest the type of survey based on the type of property you are buying. As a rule here is some guidance on both report types:

Level 2: HomeBuyer Report

Best suited for:

  • Standard construction houses;
  • Bungalows; or
  • Flats

This is how the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors explain the benefits of the HomeBuyer Report

"The service is specifically designed for lay clients who are seeking a professional opinion at an economic price. It is, therefore, necessarily less comprehensive than a level 3 building survey. The focus of the service is on assessing the general condition of the main elements of a property, and identifying and evaluating the particular features that affect its present value and may affect its future resale.

The inspection is not exhaustive, and no tests are undertaken. There is, therefore, a risk that certain defects may not be found that would have been uncovered if testing and/or a more substantial inspection had been undertaken. This is a risk that the client must accept. However, where there is ‘a trail of suspicion’ the surveyor ‘must take reasonable steps to follow the trail’. These ‘reasonable steps’ may include recommending further investigation."

Following the trail: The relevant passage is from Roberts v J. Hampson & Co. (1989) in which Kennedy J. states ‘As it seems to me the position that the law adopts is simple. If a surveyor misses a defect because its signs are hidden that is a risk that his client must accept. But if there is specific ground for suspicion and the trail of suspicion leads further behind furniture or under carpets the surveyor must take reasonable steps to follow the trail until he has all the information which it is reasonable for him to have before making his valuation.’

Level 3: Building Survey

Best suited for properties that:

  • are of any age;
  • have extensive outbuildings, grounds and leisure facilities;
  • are of unusual type;
  • have load bearing structures or simple frames, or use less common structures;
  • use new and developing technologies or materials;
  • use conventional or non-conventional building materials and construction methods;
  • have service and lifestyle systems not commonly found in domestic residential properties; and/or
  • incorporate renewable energy and other sustainability features (e.g. grey water harvesting).

This is how the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors explain the benefits of the Building Survey

"The service is specifically designed for clients seeking an impartial and detailed assessment of the property. The property is therefore condition reported at a level of thoroughness necessary to provide a balanced and informed opinion that is also clear and jargon-free and in compliance with the terms agreed in the DBS. As a result, the report is necessarily more comprehensive and the inspection more extensive than that for an RICS HomeBuyer or Condition Report.

The inspection of the building and grounds for the building survey is more extensive than that for the RICS HomeBuyer or Condition Report Service (see the HSIS). Consequently, the surveyor will spend a considerably longer time at the property. The surveyor is responsible for carefully and thoroughly inspecting the property and recording the construction and defects that are evident. The surveyor is advised not to limit the time for inspection and should take the time required for the property in question.

The surveyor should carry out the inspection in a logical sequence, and it is essential that all relevant parts of the property are closely inspected. For example, the interdependence of the different parts of the structure, should be assessed, especially the way in which the roof, walls (internal and external) and floors interact, so that each part is not considered in isolation. The mandate to follow the trail of suspicion should also be clearly demonstrated.

The extent of an inspection will depend on a range of specific circumstances, and the surveyor will have to judge each case on an individual basis.

You should always make sure that the survey is performed by a surveyor who has sufficient knowledge and competence necessary to carry out a detailed condition assessment of the property.

Does a RICS surveyor test the electrics or gas?

Services are generally hidden within the construction of the property. This means that only the visible parts of the available services can be inspected, and the surveyor does not carry out specialist tests. The visual inspection cannot assess the efficiency or safety of electrical, gas or other energy sources; plumbing, heating or drainage installations (or whether they meet current regulations); or the inside condition of any chimney, boiler or other flue.

If there are visible issues then the surveyor flags these in their report and then you can get a specialist engineer to attend the property and complete tests.

Does a RICS surveyor confirm if the property has subsidence?

A RICS surveyor provides their opinion on if they suspect their is current or historical signs of movement. If they feel there is current signs of movement then they will advise you within your report to obtain specialist guidance from a structural engineer.

What happens if you need to make a formal complaint related to the survey?

We expect the service provided by our surveyor to meet with the scope instructed and that you will be very happy with the service provided by them. In the unlikely event that you need to raise a formal complaint then you will need to write to your surveyor detailing the reasons for your complaint and provide supporting evidence including photographs. Your surveyor will provide you with a copy of their Complaints Procedure for which they will adhere to.

Your Surveyor will take all reasonable steps to resolve your complaint and may look to complete a revisit to the property. They will then write to you with their formal response to your complaint.

In the event that you are unsatisfied with the surveyor's response you can pursue a third party dispute resolution service that the surveyor is registered to. You cannot raise a complaint to the Dispute Resolution Service until you have raised a formal complaint to your surveyor. The details of the Alternative Dispute Resolution are:

Service Provider




Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution
70 Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 1EU
The Alternative Dispute Resolution service considers all information provided by both parties and look to give a their independent opinion on the delivery of the service by the surveyor. If you are unhappy with the decision from the Dispute Resolution Service you can ask for a further review by another person at Dispute Resolution Service. If after this further review you are still unhappy then you can seek to reclaim your losses through the courts and the Judge’s decision will be final.

Home buyers survey near me

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Home Buyers Survey Falmouth
Home Buyers Survey Fareham
Home Buyers Survey Farnborough
Home Buyers Survey Farnham
Home Buyers Survey Farnham Common
Home Buyers Survey Faversham
Home Buyers Survey Feltham
Home Buyers Survey Finchampstead
Home Buyers Survey Finchley
Home Buyers Survey Finsbury Park
Home Buyers Survey Fleet
Home Buyers Survey Flitwick
Home Buyers Survey Folkestone
Home Buyers Survey Forest Gate
Home Buyers Survey Forest Hill
Home Buyers Survey Friern Barnet
Home Buyers Survey Frimley
Home Buyers Survey Frome
Home Buyers Survey Fulham