Buying a Property on Contaminated Land? What you need to do
If it’s been flagged in your Environmental Report that your property is at risk of being built on contaminated land, then this article explains what to do.
How do you find out if your land is contaminated?
In the majority of cases the report will show no risk, however you’ll need to do more investigations if the environmental report states:
"Our environmental consultants, Argyll Environmental Ltd [or other provider of Environmental Search], have identified a significant risk of contaminated land within the vicinity of the property."
If your report states this then you must seek further advice from your solicitor and look to find out from the council whether the land your property is built on actually is affected by contamination.
Order your environmental report for £50 today by calling 0333 344 3234.
What is contaminated land?
From a legal perspective, contaminated land is defined as where substances could cause:
significant harm to people or protected species; and/or
- significant pollution of surface waters or groundwater.
- former factories
3 Things you can do if the environmental report flags up contamination
Write to the Environmental Health Department
Dear Sir / Madam,
- Any information regarding past industrial land use(s).
- (If applicable) Information on the nearby landfill site e.g. the nature of the fill materials and the dates of infilling, and whether there are any gas protection measures at the landfill and the property.
- Any site investigations/remedial works carried out at the property or in close proximity.
- Information on any pollution incidents/ records of contamination.
- Whether they have any concerns regarding ground conditions on or adjacent to the property site.
- Whether the site has been risk ranked in accordance with their Contaminated Land Strategy and if so what level it has been assigned (Low, Medium or High; Category 1, 2, 3, etc).
|Council||Email to contact council||Fee To
|London Borough Council of Hounslow
|London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham
|London Borough of Tower Hamlets
|Havering London Borough Council
|Bristol City Council
|London Borough of Barnet
An NHBC Certificate or Cover note dated after 1st April 1999 for the property that provides contaminated land cover included within the policy will provide insurance against contaminated land.
If the warranty provider is Zurich/Premier/LABC then as long as the policy schedule shows contaminated land or environmental impairment cover is included, this will be fine as well.
- Planning permissions for the site that include conditions associated with contaminated land.
- Written confirmation from the local authority that any relevant conditions have been fully discharged.