Joint Tenancy Definition
Joint tenancy, also known as Joint Tenants, is a type of ownership of land; the other being tenants in common. As a joint tenant you have an undivided share of the property and can own the property with up to 4 joint tenants (you cannot have more than 4 joint tenants registered at the Land...
Joint Tenancy vs Tenants in Common - Pros and Cons
Choosing whether to buy as Joint Tenants vs Tenants in Common is an important decision because it affects how you share income from the property; although you can change from joint tenants to tenants in common. To understand the pros and cons regarding joint tenants and tenants in common...
What is Vacant Possession?
Vacant possession in residential conveyancing means that a property you're buying is empty on completion day. This means the sellers and or the seller's tenants, if applicable, have moved out and taken all their belongings with them, leaving only those items agreed with the buyer. However this is...
Lease Extension Valuation
A lease extension valuation is required as part of the process to extend your lease. The valuation can be arranged either: informally for any number of years (up to a maximum of 999 years); or formally for an additional 90 years on top of the current lease term. The valuation is...
Shared Ownership Lease Extension
You can get a shared ownership lease extension but unless you have already staircased to 100%, the normal statutory rules don't apply, leaving you with an informal process with rules set by your individual housing association and sometimes you might want to consider staircasing either first or at...
Replies to Requisitions on Title TA13 Form
Replies to requisitions on title are replies given by your solicitor, when you are selling a property, to standard questions asked in Form TA13, also known as Completion Information and Undertakings (2nd edition), by your buyer's solicitor. The form asks questions - known as requisitions...
Lease Extension Solicitors
Whether you are taking the formal or informal route to extend your lease, you are going to need to instruct a specialist lease extension solicitor. The role of your solicitor depends on the route you decide to take when extending your lease; informal or formal. The Leasehold Reform, Housing...
First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber): How does the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal work?
The First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) (FTT) is the very last stop on the statutory/formal process for lease extension, set out within the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993. But how does the FTT (previously the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal – LVT – still named as this...
Can't agree lease extension terms with your freeholder? What happens next?
If you can't agree lease extension terms with your freeholder using the formal statutory route, you shouldn't be disheartened as you have many advantages because of the related law. So what should you do next? If you're taking the formal/statutory route to extending the lease on...
Leasehold House Lease Extension Process
Leasehold house lease extension has similarities with the lease extension process for flats (click to find out more and please follow the link if you want to extend the lease on your flat) however there are key differences and there is huge importance in instructing a property lawyer with the...
Informal Lease Extension Process - What are the Pros & Cons?
As a leaseholder you have 2 routes to follow if you wish to extend the number of years on your lease: Formal Lease Extension - follows the statutory route adding an additional 90 years onto your current lease term, reducing ground rent to zero (peppercorn), premium calculated within...
Switch mortgage for a better deal, particularly mortgage prisoners
When you switch mortgage, you can potentially save yourself thousands in monthly mortgage repayments over the term of your mortgage although it's understandable that switching something as financially large as a mortgage might be considered a daunting prospect. Modern business,...
Concessionary Purchase
Lifetime ISA - help for first time buyers?
What is the Mortgage Process?
Buying a Property on Contaminated Land? What you need to do
What type of survey do I need
Gifted Deposit: 3 things you must do when gifting a deposit
When do you pay your house deposit?
Stamp Duty Land Tax for Shared Ownership
Property Information Form TA6 explained
What is Stamp Duty?
Independent Legal Advice
Staircasing Process
Help to Buy Application Process
Help to Buy Conveyancing Solicitors
Help to Buy Equity Loan
Shared Ownership Valuation
Home Move Utilities First Time Buyer
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
Licensed Conveyancer or Solicitor - Who should you choose to do your conveyancing?
Flood Risk Report
Heylo Housing Shared Ownership
Solicitor for buying a house
Can a mortgage offer be withdrawn after exchange of contracts?
Heylo Housing: Staircasing Your Home