Specialist house survey articles to inform you about all aspects of surveys on residential property. Whether it be a home buyers survey for a flat or the building survey cost for a Victorian house, we have free tips and guides to inform you on what a rics homebuyer report covers and what it'll cost.

At SAM Conveyancing we simply the house survey process and explain detail in a way that makes it easy to understand. We also have a panel of hand selected RICS Building surveyors, structural engineers and property valuers to support you with whatever you are planning to do with your house or flat..

Please click, read and enjoy. If you get stuck or need any help then call us and speak to a friendly member of the SAM Conveyancing team - 0333 344 3234 (local call charges).

Standard Construction House

Any standard construction house from the post-1950s has generally been built using brick and/or block walls with damp courses sat on a concrete foundation and has a tiled pitched roof.

When most people think of these properties, they tend to think of detached or semi-detached houses, but the term covers terraced housing from this era too.

Standard construction implies that these kind of properties were built according to modern, accepted building standards, an advantage regarding the ease of being granted a mortgage for one, or buildings insurance and for ease of selling on. In contrast, non-standard construction properties, where for example timber/wood panels, steel frames or prefabricated concrete have been used, are normally at a disadvantage regarding these matters.

*RICS Surveyors – Local Knowledge – Same Week Availability
Want help now? Call us on 0333 344 3234 (local call charges apply)

What does a post-1950s standard construction house look like?

This kind of property is predominantly two storeys high, although lofts may frequently be converted and dormer windows cut out of the pitched roof.

Standard Construction House
House fronts may be white-washed, pebble-dashed, painted or bare bricks. You often find mock-Tudor ornamentation on the second storey at the front of the house.

These properties can be found everywhere and on any particular estate, you might find that all properties look the same or very similar, particularly on a council estate, but on many estates you might have two or three types which you can see at regular intervals even in the same street, for example.

Often, these properties have a small front garden which may have been concreted or tarmacked over. They may have porches but these tend not to advance beyond the main front building line of the property. Double glazing is most often seen these days, but you can sometimes see these properties with their original windows.
Proud of our Reviews
SAM Conveyancing Reviews
Check Availability
We work with local surveyors throughout England and Wales. Why not check our next available date for your area now?
Agree to Terms & Privacy

What issues does a post-1950s standard construction house have?

As a type, these properties are reasonably robustly built but the older they are, the more that materials et cetera will need to be maintained.
Standard Construction Terraced Housing.

You often note moss and algae on the roofs of older properties of this type. This is mainly caused by bird droppings providing a medium for plant spores to take root and, over years, the build-up attacks the roof tiles and mortar and leads to leaking and dampness. The time required to repair such a roof and the costs involved depend on the severity of the condition.

Most of these properties will have been rewired but you cannot assume this. The same can also be said for double glazing. Some houses still have the original single glazing which is more susceptible to damp, condensation and draughts. If the replacement windows have been badly installed or do not have devices to combat condensation, damp can still be a factor.

What sort of home buyers survey does a post-1950s standard construction property require?

Because these properties were built post-1950s, in terms of age a HomeBuyers Report will normally suffice, and this is also the case because of their being built with standard construction materials, but there are certain caveats.

If the property in question has been extensively refurbished and/or has been extended, either vertically or horizontally or is very large, you would get a Building Survey; this is also the case if there are a number of outbuildings on the plot.

If you need any advice about which survey to book for a property you are interested in buying, please call our offices on 0333 344 3234.

*RICS Surveyors – Local Knowledge – Same Week Availability
Want help now? Call us on 0333 344 3234 (local call charges apply)

Related Articles
Buying a Bungalow
Concrete House
Edwardian Properties
Pre-Georgian Properties
Purpose Built Flats
Steel Frame House
Timber Frame Houses
Victorian Properties